- / – main partition (filesystem)
- /boot – kernel, ramdisk (nowadays not separate partition anymore – is now just directory under / )
- /usr – here are programs usually installed – high read I/O
- /home – high read/ write I/O – requires its own drive
- /var – log files, email box – high write I/O
- /tmp – usually high read/write I/O
- /swap – page file, high read/write I/O in not enough RAM
How to distribute over disks/ arrays
- /usr, /home, /var – can all be on the same drive if necessary
Location of drives in Linux:
- drives /dev/sda, /dev/sdb….
- partitions: /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2,….
- pvdisplay – shows physical volumes
- lvdisplay – shows logical volumes